John Deere Corporate Skilled: Product Development Specialist in Moline, Illinois
Product Development Specialist
Sets up, maintains, troubleshoots, repairs and operates hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, instrumentation, and electrical systems and equipment
in a team environment to conduct laboratory and field tests of tractors and component assemblies and parts to obtain engineering data for
product development and improvement.
Types of Machines, Tools and Equipment Used or Operated:
Various hand and power tools, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical and electronic, instrumentation, and test equipment, precision
measuring tools, computers, dynamometers, agricultural tractors and equipment and their components, engines and instrumentation vehicles.
Maintains a safe work environment.
Details are dependent on duties assigned but in general consist of the following:
- Works in a self-directed team environment; work is not closely directed or supervised.
- Effectively works with engineers/customers in planning, developing, implementing and analyzing the results of laboratory and field test processes; performs all work required for product development, testing and evaluation atthe ADV Facility.
- Sets up and conducts laboratory tests on experimental tractors, engines, and components using electronic, hydraulic and mechanical instrumentation on dynamometers and associated test equipment to determine performance, power economy, efficiency, environment, vibrations, fatigue, durability and operational characteristics.
- Develops, builds, calibrates, installs, maintains and operates electronic, electrical, hydraulic and mechanical instrumentation and test equipment in the experimental test laboratory and instrumentation vehicles; conducts tests to obtain engineering data for evaluation and design of tractors and engines and components.
- Assembles, disassembles, diagnoses problems, overhauls, repairs, adjusts and tests experimental tractors, engines and components parts, performing major mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic work to determine accuracy of specifications, part dimensions, adjustments, functional performance, stability, durability and field service feasibility characteristics.
- Sets up and maintains test setups, test fixtures, associated controls and instrumentation.
- Checks, services and calibrates test equipment to keep it in satisfactory operating condition.
- Maintains inventory of equipment.
- May also coach or direct other team members.
- Working knowledge of Remote Parameter Control (RPC) software from MTS Systems.
- Working knowledge of MTS test systems, including the ability to program and develop MTS controller configurations.
- Experience in designing, setting up, and troubleshooting full vehicle, component, and sub-system servo-hydraulic tests on John Deere or equivalent products
- Working knowledge of hydraulics, electronics and instrumentation used for lab testing
- Working knowledge of MTS Test Suite software, load frames and extensometers, including experience in material testing and fatigue property characterization.
- Working knowledge of Somat EDAQ data acquisition systems and TCE software
- Pro-E software experience
Mechanical skills and some fabrication experience (welding, machining, etc) is also preferred
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.